- Five Star Counselors
For the past few weeks groups have been working on their audition skills. Here is a list of 10 things that were taken from what the participants came up with in my workshop! If you follow them you will be sure to NAIL your next audition!
1.Confidence: It sounds simple but it takes practice. Walk in the door with your held head high. Be wary of shuffling feet. Leave your problems outside the door. Practice good posture and body language before you arrive. And don’t forget to smile—that’s the lasting impression you want to leave.
2. Personality: Let it shine through. Don’t give one-word answers when having a conversation with the casting director. Ask questions! They will be looking for smart, curious performers!
3. Connection: Make one with the casting director. Maintain eye contact. Shake hands when meeting others. Vocalize when they are talking to you. A nod, a yes, a thank you, make it known you are listening.
5. Research: What are you auditioning for? Know the background of the company and people you will be working with. Research the type of performer they are looking for.
6. Appearance: Dress to impress! Wear something plain with no writing or logos. You can add bright colors into your outfit to make it POP and stick out.
7. Prompt: Be on time. You never want to be late for an audition. Eat a good breakfast and show up early to prepare yourself and warm up.
8. Prepare: Be ready to sing, act, dance, or something you weren’t expecting! Practice if you can at home. Make sure you know when and where the audition is. Show up with lots of water and some snacks. And never forget a resume and photo!
9. Respect: Respect the casting directors and others auditioning. Don’t talk when directions are being told. Be respectful of each others space. Watch them when performing in groups. You can learn a lot from another person!
10. HAVE FUN! If you are having fun so will the ones watching you!